Google
 

November 10, 2010

Beetroot Karumadhu



While growing up, how many times did you have to be told to eat something because it is good for you? I've lost count. Of course, I also didn't have to be told such things. I didn't quite know that  there was this option to say, "I don't want this." The only threats/coaxing I ever received had to do with the speed of my eating.

"XYZ's mother says that her hair grows long because she sits down for dinner at 8 and finishes by 8.15."

I still don't have long hair. I am still in touch with XYZ and I know she has long hair. And I know that finishing dinner in 15 minutes cannot be the only secret. And guess what? The world is talking about the benefits of eating slowly. I must admit that I do finish my meals faster than most people.

Beetroots in Indian cooking must have caused (still be causing)  a great deal of stress to children. I suppose that children are either put off by the colour or drawn to it. There cannot be a middle path. Actually, there is no middle path for adults either. What are my views on beets in Indian cooking? Beetroots are best used in salads and cakes, and of course in soups.

As far as Indian food goes, I like beets in things like chutneys. The occasional sambar or rasam with beets is a welcome change. The stir fries/sautes I deal with when I have to. That would explain why this recipe is not exactly a weekly feature in my home.


1/4 kg Beetroot, peeled and diced Steam the beetroot until tender.
1 tsp Oil
1/4 tsp Urad Dal
1/4 tsp Chana Dal
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
2 Red Chillies
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1 tbsp Coconut, scraped
7-8 Curry Leaves
Salt to taste

 
Heat oil in a pan. Add the urad and chana dals, mustard seeds and asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves and the red chillies. Fry for a minute. Add the chopped beets and the salt. Sprinkle a little water on top. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the coconut and mix well.
 
This is a pretty side with the usual rice and sambar/rasam routine. Perfect when you really do need a splash of colour on your plate.




9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Raaga,

Simple and healthy...One of my favorite preparations...:)

Dr.Sameena@

http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

Nithya said...

I love the name Karamudhu :) makes me feel so interested abt it :) yummy :)

Priya Suresh said...

Such a delicious looking karamudhu..

Pavani said...

I'm the only one eating beetroot in my house. Can't tell the other adult or the kid to eat it.. So I enjoy it thoroughly whenever I make it. Your karamudu looks yummy.

Ranjani said...

I've never cooked beets Indian style! Amma never cooked them for us so I never think of it. I'll have to try an Indian preparation sometime.

AJ said...

Looks yummy!!

Hari Chandana P said...

simple and yummy..

TBC said...

This is how I make my beetroot thoran.:)

How have you been, A?

Unknown said...

Delicious way to cook beets!