Google
 

September 18, 2009

If you miss the train I'm on...


... you will know that I am gone. You can hear the whistle blow a 100 miles.


I'm sure you're all wondering what these lines have to do with my food blog. Agreed that this is the blog of The Singing Chef and that music has to be a part of this journey. Read on till the end if you want to unravel this little mystery. This is a long post.


I have always talked about why blogs and cookbooks will co-exist. Each fixes a different problem, a different need. There is a certain joy in going through a cookbook, getting inspired by it, cooking something from it and enjoying it. There is a different joy in blog hopping, finding a recipe, cooking it, letting the blogger know (or even seeking inputs where necessary) and then telling the whole world what a nice recipe that blogger put up. Overall, it fosters a sense of camaraderie. This post is my way of saying thanks to my fellow bloggers for putting up some delicious recipes that have added much needed variety to our dinner table. Some of the recipes that I tried (and we loved) are:

Pumpkin Erissheri from the Jugalbandits.

Tomato Spinach Pulao from Nags' Edible Garden.


Indian Style Baked Tofu from Madhuram's Eggless Cooking.

Pasta the forgotten way from Arundati's Escapades.

Mushroom Stroganoff from Aarti's Life Goes On.

Baby Carrots and Thyme from Nandita's Saffron Trail.



Chukku Kaapi from Mishmash

I have told you all that I didn't intend for this blog to become what it has. All this is a bonus. I only hoped to create a repository of recipes that I can access easily. Today, there are so many people who write back and let me know they tried something from my blog. I feel thrilled. When my "forced-to-be-bachelors-for-a-week" friends write in and tell me they cooked a simple meal from my blog which spared them another night of Maggi, I feel honoured. Then there are some folks out there who would make it seem like I am a celebrity (one even said as much!) and have nominated this blog in the Best Baking Blog category in the FoodBuzz 2009 Food Blog Awards!


This post is as much one to thank each and everyone of you who has visited this blog, encouraged me to continue blogging (especially at those times when I felt like giving up). I want to acknowledge the friends who have come into my life through this very medium. I want you all to know that I am deeply grateful for your presence in my life today. To all of you, I say:

I'm on the top of the world lookin down on creation

And the only explanation I can find

Is the love that I've found ever since youve been around

Your love's put me at the top of the world


But why am I singing the song by Carpenters, when I started with that beautiful song by Peter, Paul and Mary?

If you miss the train I'm on, you will know that I am gone

You can hear the whistle blow a hundred miles,

A hundred miles, a hundred miles, a hundred miles, a hundred miles,

You can hear the whistle blow a hundred miles.

Lord I'm one, lord I'm two, lord I'm three, lord I'm four,

Lord I'm 500 miles from my home.

500 miles, 500 miles, 500 miles, 500 miles

Lord I'm five hundred miles from my home.


Because Lord I'm one, lord I'm two, lord I'm three, lord I'm four, Lord I'm 500 posts from my home. And to reach this wonderful milestone on the day that S and I celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary makes both the celebrations that much sweeter! Happy Anniversary Sachin. You've made the last three years so memorable and I look forward to all the memories we will create together.

42 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Congrats Arundathi, lovely dishes from our other fellow bloggers..

amna said...

congrats on the 500! wow, that's a very high number!! and it was so sweet of you to do a return gift :)

RustyNeurons said...

A double whammy eh??
Congratulations!!!

sra said...

Congrats, and Best of Luck with the nomination!

My Experiments with Food said...

Congratulations on the 500th Post! And all the best for the Foodbuzz Nomination.

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow...that's a memorable and marvelous milestone dear....keep rocking....Happy Anniversary to u two...Congrats on foodbuzz nomination....

CurryLeaf said...

CONGRATS A,Great job you have done and are and will be doing.Never ever give up blogging.Hearty and Warm anniversary wishes and many more years of HAPPY & SINGING BLOGGING

sunita said...

Dear Raaga, it's been a pleasure to have known you. Heartiest congratulations for all those wonderful achievements. And wishing you and Sachin many, many more years of happiness.

jayasree said...

This is indeed a post of milestones.
Happy anniversary wishes to you both and wishing you many more 500s for you blog.

Congrats for the nomination.

jayasree said...

This is indeed a post of milestones.
Happy anniversary wishes to you both and wishing you many more 500s for you blog.

Congrats for the nomination.

Aarti said...

Congrats on 500
Congrats on 3lovely yearrs!!

and here's to many many more!!:)
Hugsss

and woman, rhomba porumai unakku.. to dig up all those recipes and dedicte the post...!!

Nirmala said...

Hey congrats dear...And 500 is too fast. Its a marathon I bet. Wishing you and Sachin many more years of togetherness and love! And oohlalala for the Carpnters song. u have kindled lot more memories by that. Take care.

Parita said...

Congratulations!!! Kudos to you!! This is a fantastic achievement..wish you many many more!

Ashwini said...

Congratulations on your 500 Raaga!! I do hope to see the 1000's in the near future.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and the yummy things you dish out as a Baker and not to forget you have been my inspiration for Baking. Good luck!!

Congrats and best wishes to you and Sachin on your Anniversary! God bless ya'll!!

Cheerz!!
Ashwini.

Gita Jaishankar said...

Congrats on your 500th post Raaga...wow...great job :) All the best for your Food Buzz nomninations :)

Arti agarwal said...

hi,gud site,I am also from gurgaon and staying in the same society.

Unknown said...

Congrat son your 500th post realy agreat job and best of luck with your foodBuzz nomination ohh congrats on your anniversary too
with you manu more like this.

Swapna said...

Lovely post Aru... and Happy Anniversary - belatedly to you and Sachin

kamalabhoopathy said...

Happy anniversary and wishing many more more mile stones like this

musical said...

A very Happy Anniversary and congratulations on the 500th post!

Raks said...

Wow!That's great,congrats on reaching a milestone,looking forward for more from here!

Uj said...

Congratulations and all the best to you.. Wishing you ans S a very happy wedding anniversary.. wish you many more years of happiness and prosperity

Divya Kudua said...

Congrats Arundhati..and 500 is a BIG number..:):).

Wishing you and Sachin a very Happy Wedding Anniversary:)

Madhuram said...

Raaga, thanks for trying the baked tofu. Also heartiest congratulations on your 500th post. The post is so good, very well written.

WinnyNinny PooPoo said...

Looking forward to the next 500 posts!

Preeti said...

Hey Singing Chef!!

I'm really looking forward to catch up with the Singer & the Chef...been a while buddy....

Congrats on the 500 & the 3..... here's wishing a happy multiple of both !!!

Mishmash ! said...

Raaga, my belated anniversary wishes to you both :)

last two days 've been really long and when i woke up this morning to read this post, it felt so good! Happy to be part of your life/kitchen :)

the first time I came here, it was the simplicity of ur recipes that attracted me and u still have that magic charm on me! Best wishes with your nomination :)

Sachin said...

Happy Anniversary to you too Arundhati. I want you to carry on and on. I am there for you.

Raaga said...

Thanks all of you. It is easy to take one look at your comments and figure out what makes me keep on posting here.

Hugs!

bee said...

congrats and well done, arundhati and sachin.

Cham said...

Congrats and Happy Anniversary wishes :)

KirtiKapoor said...

Hey Arundhati
Came across your blog sometime back, not a regular reader, but will try to be...
Belated Anniversary wishes to you and S. Congratulations on hitting the 500th post.
Wishing both of you fantabulous years ahead, and specially, wishing you the best of both worlds -singing and cooking :-)
Cheerio

here it is!!!! said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY WISHES, Arundhati, when was it? mine was September 3rd :)

Bong Mom said...

Congrats dear Raaga on the 500 and one more on the 3. Wishing you guys all the best.

~~louise~~ said...

So many wishes for you Raaga. Your blog is a true inspiration. Happy Everything!!! Good Luck!!!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

I'm late again! :(
Congratulations to both of you on your anniversary and your 500th post here.
Shall catch up with you one of these days, that's a promise. :)

s said...

aww...such a beautiful post..wish u many more years of great blogging

Miri said...

Congratulations!! and a very Happy Anniversary to you and Sachin!

Its been a pleasure to know you through your blog and I hope to meet you soon!

Miri

Ashwini said...

Knock....knock....just checking if everything is ok.

Cheerz
Ashwini.

Red Chillies said...

Totally missed this post. I was thinking that it has been a while since you posted. Hope all is well.

Congratulations on the 500th milestone taht is indeed an achievement and belated belated anniversary wishes.

Sowmya said...

Congrats on your anniversary..

Happy Diwali..

Cynthia said...

Happy Diwali!