Google
 

September 3, 2009

Baingan Bharta


I didn't always like the taste of smoked brinjals. I love brinjals otherwise, but this one method of cooking was never a favourite. If Amma wanted to make thogayal/thuvayal, she would steam the brinjals in the cooker. Now, I have come to appreciate the flavour a lot more. When Amma was here sometime back, she made this Baingan Bharta. Even my Punjabi colleagues said it was to die for.


1 large Brinjal, roasted on an open flame

1 Onion, chopped finely
1 Tomato, chopped finely
1 tsp Ginger Paste
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
1/4 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp Oil
Salt to taste


Place the roasted brinjal in a bowl of water.
Remove the charred skin and keep the brinjal aside. Mash the cooked brinjal a little.


Heat the oil in a kadhai. Add the onions and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the ginger paste along with the turmeric, coriander and chilli powders. Add the salt and the tomato and fry for 3-4 minutes. Add the mashed brinjal and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add the garam masala and garnish with some chopped coriander if you like.
Serve hot with chapatis/phulkas.

9 comments:

Divya Kudua said...

One dish which I have never tried to make:).Brinjal is not something we looove,so have not experimented much with it.Your recipes have always worked for me so I miiiiiight try this one:).

Finla said...

I would love to scoop up the whole lot with chapties.

Priya Suresh said...

Yet to put my hands to prepare this famous dish...none at home fond for this dish..but i just love this..feel like having rite now with rotis..

Gita Jaishankar said...

The dish looks so good Raaga..I have never tried smoking brinjal for baigan bharta...have to try it once :)

Unknown said...

DIff recipe. Lovely accoumpaniment with rotis!

Uma said...

looks so delicious :)

Sanghi said...

Mmm perfect recipe!

My Experiments with Food said...

I love Baingan Bharta, and I always use roasted brinjal.
Infact, was actually planning to post it last week :) Had made some but it got over before any pics could be taken.
Your preparation looks yummy.

Priya Narasimhan said...

Nice recipe.. I have never liked brinjal..But I shall try this for my family..