Google
 

March 15, 2009

Tamata Pappu


This is one of the two "dals" S talks about. I've blogged about Palakkoora Pappu earlier. The "other" dal is Tamata Pappu. In fact, my friend says that her husband only wants these two dals all the time. I had not eaten this dal anywhere, but now we eat it every once in a while.

1 cup Red Gram Dal (Toor Dal)
2-3 Tomatoes, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
1 tsp Roasted Fenugreek Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Chilli Powder
2 Garlic Pods, chopped
1/2 tsp Coriander-Cumin Powder
1 tsp Green Chilli Paste
1 tsp Oil
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
7-8 Curry leaves
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
Salt to taste
Chopped Coriander Leaves for garnish

Pressure cook the dal with 2-3 cups of water. Mash well and keep aside.

In a pan, heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves and the roasted fenugreek powder. Add the onions, green chilli paste and garlic along with the tomatoes. Fry for a minute. Add the cumin-coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Add the mashed dal and bring to a boil. Garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy this hot with chapattis. Needless to say, this tastes great with rice.

15 comments:

Finla said...

This was somethingwe had often, especially in oyr lunch box.

Deepthi Shankar said...

I love this dal .. very simple & comforting

Gita Jaishankar said...

Adding garlic in dals is something new to me though I add garlic in everything else... it does look very delicous too...thanks for sharing this recipe Raaga :)

Ranjani said...

Looking good!

Ranjani said...

Looking good!

Uma said...

This is such a simple and mouth-watering recipe. Everyone's fav. at our home! Looks gorgeous.

Divya Kudua said...

Tomato dal looks delicious,I think it would be great with chapathis..lovely colour too;-)

Swapna said...

We have this too... I love it :)

Anonymous said...

Comfort Food....simple yet filling with some rice and roti

Unknown said...

Sounds interesting. I have never tried this..

Cynthia said...

Serve me up some. I want mine with rice, no roti for me :)

suvi said...

never had this before, but sounds yum!

CurryLeaf said...

Love the tomato dal.I prefer only this compared to normal thoy .I make this with moongdal and this can also be passed off as daali upkari or evening snack when moongdal is used (and cooked like upma)

CurryLeaf said...

A,I think you can send it to MM:Kids Lunch as a healthy kid friendly side dish.Do check out the rules at Srivallis

Sonal said...

Lovely daal raaga! gonna try it tonight :)