Google
 

February 23, 2009

Carrot Dal Soup


In an attempt to make different soups, I keep looking for new combinations. I came across this recipe in the book I've made famous on this blog: Favorite Vegetarian Dishes. I adapted the recipe based on what I had available that night. This is one soup that I am certain I will make again.


2 cups Carrots, sliced

1/2 cup Toor Dal

2 Onions, chopped

2 Tomatoes, chopped

1 tsp Garlic, chopped

2 tsp Oil

1 tsp Cumin-Coriander Powder

1 tsp Green Chilli Paste

1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder

Juice of 1 Lime

1 cup Milk

Salt to taste

Chopped Coriander for garnish


Pressure cook the toor dal, carrots, onions, tomatoes and garlic with 4 cups of water for 3-4 whistles. Blend in a liquidizer when cool.


In a pan, heat the oil. Add the chilli paste, cumin-coriander powder and turmeric powder. Fry for a minute on a low flame. Take off the flame and add the lime juice and salt.


In a vessel, add the blended carrot-dal mixture and the milk. Add a cup of water and the spice mixture. Simmer over low heat for 5-7 minutes. Garnish with the chopped coriander.


Don't get completely lost in the colour of the soup. Remember to enjoy it while hot. Off this goes to dear Aparna as she hosts this month's edition of FIC-Orange.

12 comments:

Divya Kudua said...

I love your recipe of carrot soup with milk and am sure adding dal would make it even more tastier.I've seen a similar recipe in a website where 2-3 tbsp moong dal is added.Nice entry for FIC.

FH said...

Great smooth color, Trisha loves Tomato soups. Great entry! :)
I just posted a Tomato garlic soup too, for the Soup event, add this as well! :D

Deepthi Shankar said...

nice carrot soup ... I love the addition of lentils ..

Gayathri said...

thats a very healthy soup!!!

AnuSriram said...

Soup looks so comforting! Delicious!

Uma said...

looks so yummy.

Uj said...

Looks yummy... I love carrots in any form. Like the smooth texture of the soup.

suvi said...

nice one raaga!

Varsha Vipins said...

Soup looks so comforting Raaga..:)

Deepa said...

Hey there,
Yes, my blog has been having existential dilemmas. Need to get the picture into the site next :). I LOVE yours and come here a few times a day though! You have such amazing recipes, they're easy to find, and very well-written, and most of all, always taste fantastic when made. Very importantly, NICELY and simply formatted. Be sure to keep that simple formatting always. The family's been suffering with allergies here - cedar ended and oak has started. Sigh, the price we pay to live in Austin. Been having very negative thoughts about Austin lately (due to the allergies). Anyway, take care, and email. --Deepa

A_and_N said...

Carrot Dal soup! That is new. Will surely try on a cold day!

Aparna said...

As you know, soups are not quite my thing, but I'm going to change my mind about this one as I like the ingredients.
Thanks for participating in FIC Orange.