Google
 

November 20, 2008

Parangikkai Thuvayal (Pumpkin Chutney)



As the summer vegetables start making way for the winter produce, I get the feeling that, this year, I may miss my new friends when I can't find them shouting out to me in the supermarket or our local markets. I've experimented a lot this summer and tried out dishes that a year ago I would have considered alien.

While planning a weekend lunch, I decided to make pumpkin sambar and remembered that I had fresh ash gourd as well. So I made ash gourd sambar instead and used my bag of frozen pumpkin to make this thuvayal. I was a little worried that it might taste a tad sweet, but this thuvayal surprised both of us.


1 cup Pumpkin, cubed
4 Red Chillies
1 tsp Mustard
3 tsp Urad Dal
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
3 tsp Oil
1 tbsp Tamarind Paste
Salt to taste


For the tempering:

1 tsp Oil

1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds

1/4 tsp Asafoetida

7-8 Curry Leaves


Place the pumpkin pieces in a microwave safe bowl. Add 2 tbsp of water and cook on high for 2 minutes. Squeeze out the water when cool.



Heat the oil and fry the red chillies, mustard, asafoetida and urad dal for a couple of minutes. Grind the chillies along with the tamarind paste and salt. Add the pumpkin pieces and grind again. Finally, add the fried mustard and urad dal and grind lightly.


In a frying ladle, heat the oil and add the mustard and asafoetida. Add the curry leaves after the mustard has spluttered. Add this to the ground mixture.



I'm sending this to dear Sug for the second edition of Vegan Ventures.


Check out these blogs too: Siri, Srivalli, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Ruchii, Anu, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha, Divya M, Lakshmi, Lakshmi Venkatesh , Sripriya, Viji, Kamalika, Pavani, Karuna and Roochi.

8 comments:

Sharmi said...

hello madam, romba busy pola irruku? enga kitta pesa kuda time illa! was going through all your recipes. nice tamil manam:)

Deepa said...

Hey,
Did you realize it's thanksgiving time in America, when pumpkins are on all dinner tables?! So, this is hugely perfect for this time. We have family coming over for Thanksgiving lunch, and I am going to make this pumpkin chutney. Thanks!! --Deepa

CurryLeaf said...

Looks delish but new to me.You have nice idea od dishes.I keep them in the fridge and throw them oout after 2-3 weeks of recipe searching.I will never ever come up with such an idea.Lovely

Deepa said...

Hey, is Pooshinikkai equal to pumpkin, or is it Parangikkai?
Deepa

karuna said...

ooo love the colour of the chutney. looks chatpatta.

Raaga said...

@Sharmi: innum konja naal dhaan... apparama back to my normal baked food :-)

@Deepa: Its a wonder if I remember Indian festivals these days... so thanksgiving and halloween... I really cant keep track of. Do try this. It is yellow pumpkin. Poosinikkai is ash gourd. Parangikkai is pumpkin.

@Curry: At the prices I'm paying these days, I can't even afford to give my maid left over vegetables (I hate throwing them out). I use up every morsel :-)

@Karuna: It is chatpata... very nice.

Suganya said...

Its raining pumpkins here. This is perfect. Thanks, Raaga.

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

We do make thogayal with pumpkin at home and it tastes lovely.
If you can find the pumpkin with the mottled green skin and it is fresh, then you can use the webbed interior (minus the seeds) by stir frying it in a bit of oil and making thogayal this same way.