Google
 

October 7, 2008

Bansi Rava Sheera



Many of you out there are good at cooking. But how many of you are proficient in the art or science of cooking? I know that I am. How exactly do I know this? Simple! I have a “Cooking Badge” and a certificate that says “Proficiency Badge in Cooking”.


I was a proud member of the Bharat Scouts and Guides when at school. I was a Bulbul before I became a Girl Guide. I am a President’s Guide, in other words, a recipient of the Rashtrapati Puraskar. One chilly November evening in 1991, I, along with many other Scouts & Guides, was invited to tea with the President at the Rashtrapati Bhavan . Tea was preceded by the award ceremony. In all, it was an evening I will never forget for as long as I live. One of the things took me closer to that award was this proficiency badge in cooking.


I made this dish for the very first time when I was in class 7. In my school playground on a fire that we’d gotten going using firewood (no kerosene, no paper and just one matchstick). Thankfully, I didn’t have to memorize the recipe. It is one of the simplest recipes that I have and while I normally make it with normal semolina, this time I tried it with Bansi Rava (Samba Godumai) - a variant of cracked wheat. I must say I prefer the normal one, but this was almost as tasty. I do not make too many Indian sweets and that is something I am trying to change.


1 cup Bansi Rava (or normal Semolina)
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Milk
1 cup Water
2-4 tbsp Ghee (Clarified Butter)
1 tbsp Cashews
1 tbsp Raisins
¼ tsp Cardamom Powder


Roast the rava in 1 tbsp of ghee over a low flame till it lets out a lovely aroma and turns light brown.


In a separate vessel, heat the milk, sugar and water. When the mixture comes to a boil, add the cardamom powder. Add the roasted rava and cover and cook for 5-10 minutes.


In a frying ladle, heat 1 tbsp of ghee and fry the cashews until brown. Add the raisins and take the ladle of the heat. Add this to the cooked rava mixture. Add the remaining ghee to the sheera and mix well. Enjoy this fresh.


I have had a lot of people tell me that I must add the sugar at the end as the rava won’t cook in sweet milk. I have never faced any problems and absolutely love the texture and taste of this “anytime” dessert. Try it.

3 comments:

Sig said...

You will be known as the "Award winning chef Raaga" from now on... ;)
I don't know what Bansi Rava is, but I love all things sweet with rava...

Unknown said...

Great to hear abt the award Raaga.Recipe soundss too simple n sweet!

Priyanka said...

Wow thats commendable Raaga...winning accolades and meeting the president is no small feat. What is bansi rava? never heard about it.