Google
 

July 29, 2008

Instant Potato Podimas


One evening I was in a great mood to experiment. I had found the perfect recipe to use up my green tomatoes. So I made it to go along with some plain rice. Since it was a Friday night, I thought that just one dish, that too a chutney, and rice wasn’t going to make the cut. But, then again, it was a Friday. I didn’t have the patience to stand and cook an elaborate meal. I stood in the kitchen and looked all around. And then I found what I needed. Sitting amongst a whole host of unopened pasta packets was this packet of Aloo Mash. I didn’t know what to make. Cutlets… too much effort. Plus who wants to deep fry (or even shallow fry) anything in the middle of July! Plus I already had rice and chutney. Finally, I decided to make Potato Podimas. I’ll admit this came nowhere close to cooked and grated potatoes. But, in a pinch, it will more than just fly.



1 cup Aloo Mash
2 Red Chillies
2 tbsp Urad Dal
2 tbsp Chana Dal
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
Salt to Taste
a few drops Oil



Heat the oil and roast the urad and chana dals. Add the red chillies and the asafoetida. Cool completely and grind to a powder.



Mix 1 cup of water with the Aloo Mash and mix together until you are left with something that resembles “mashed potatoes”.



Place the powder on a large plate and add the mashed potato mixture. Add salt and mix thoroughly. Enjoy this with hot rice or as a side dish with rice and
sambar.

No comments: