Google
 

April 1, 2008

Instant Pear - Apple Compote

According to Wikipedia: A compote is made of whole or pieces of fruit simmered in a sugar syrup. As whole fruit, the fruit is simmered in the syrup over gentle heat. The syrup may be seasoned with vanilla, lemon or orange peel, cinnamon sticks or powder, cloves, ground almonds, grated coconut, candied fruit, or raisins.



Until I started blogging, I used to call this dish "stew" as that is what I was told it is called. Now, I know that I can call it anything I want to. For the sake of making this 2 minute dish look fancy, I'll call it compote.This is the sort of dish that comes in handy in the following situations:


  • You experience a sugar low (in Anita's words)
  • You have a bad tummy but you definitely want dessert after that meal of curd rice or khichdi
  • You want a sweet something but time is of essence

We all know that such situations are not exactly rare. So, here's what you'll need.


1 Pear, cored and sliced

1 Apple, cored and sliced

1 tbsp Brown Sugar

1/2 tsp Cinnamon Powder



Place the pear and apple slices alternately in a microwave safe dish. Sprinkle the brown sugar and the cinnamon powder over the slices. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. Allow to stand for a couple of minutes and then dig in. This is about as guilt free as it gets for me.





This is my last entry to my own AFAM event. Time is running out and I shall not be accepting any entries posted after April 1st.

11 comments:

Nupur said...

Sounds lovely. This would be delicious spooned over some pancakes or oatmeal, or even on ice cream!

sunita said...

Raaga, that is some instant gratification :-)...lovely :-)

ranji said...

first time here!!! joined blogging world only 2 months back...just getting to know all the events now..hoping to participate next AFAM event...u have a very ice blog here...nice work!!

musical said...

I agree with Nupur, this will go very well with ice-cream :).

amna said...

how are the entries coming along? nice one here :)

Madhavi said...

Hey..first time on your blog, nice recipes :))

check some of mine @
http://vegetarianmedley.blogspot.com/

Mamta said...

hey raaga,me too called it as apple stew before.thank u for the correction.my kid loves to hog it sandwiched with puris.never tried it with pear ,wil try once season starts.

~nm said...

sounds yummy..

but the bad part..I just came after eating my lunch and now I want to eat something sweet...bwaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh....

DK said...

This sounds interesting! bookmarked

Sig said...

That is an easy one... :) Does the sugar melt in 3 minutes in the m/w? That will be delicious!

Arundathi said...

hey raaga - i posted a comment here - did you get it?