Google
 

February 7, 2008

Coriander Buns

Mr. Yeast and I have been on talking terms for quite a while. We, in fact, have been getting along like a house on fire. The list of yeast breads that I want to try out keeps on getting longer and the only thing that is stopping me at the moment is the cold weather. It takes ages for the dough to rise at these temperatures and I’m sure that in a couple of weeks’ time, I’ll be back to making my own bread.


Sometime ago, when I was visiting my parents, I made these beauties. The first batch was gone in no time and Amma put the second batch away before anyone could lay their hands on them. She said they needed to savour them even after I’d come back to Gurgaon.



Ingredients:

For the dough:

1 cup Flour
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/2 tbsp Oil
1 1/2 tbsp Yeast
1 1/2 tbsp Sugar
3/4 tsp Salt
1/4 cup Boiling water
1/4 cup Milk
1/4 cup Coriander Leaves, chopped
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Chilli Powder

For the filling:
1 large Potato, washed and chopped finely
2 Onions, finely chopped
1/4 cup Cauliflower, finely chopped
2 tbsp Carrot, finely chopped
2 tbsp Beans, finely chopped
1 tbsp Oil
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Cumin-Coriander Powder
Salt to taste


For the Topping:

1 tbsp Sesame Seeds


For the dough:




Take a huge mixing bowl and place the oil, salt and sugar in it. Add boiling water and mix until the sugar dissolves. Add the milk now to bring the mixture to room temperature. Add the yeast and mix well. Add the flours, coriander leaves, turmeric and chilli powders and knead into a dough. Place the dough in a greased vessel and cover it with a damp muslin cloth. Allow to rise until double in size (roughly 45-50 minutes).


Knead the dough for a minute and then divide into 10 equal portions.


For the filling:



Heat the oil, add the asafoetida and cumin seeds. When the cumin crackles, add the chopped onions and fry for a minute before adding the other vegetables, salt, chilli, turmeric and cumin-coriander powders. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes.


To Proceed:



Preheat the oven to 400F.


Take a portion of the dough and spread it on to your palm. Place some stuffing in the centre and bring the edges and seal. Roll in the sesame seeds and place on a greased baking sheet or tray. Repeat with the other portions.

Allow to rise for 50-60 minutes and then bake for 12-15 minutes.




The addition of spices to the dough made this an interesting variation from the Masala Buns I'd made in the past. The colour of the buns was really "to die for". And my brother thought we'd brought these buns home from the bakery down the street. I take that as the best compliment.

36 comments:

amna said...

have already pinged u my comments but wanted to add that i am surely gonna try this :)

Padmaja said...

Raaga!! I love those buns, Guess what I have never tried any buns till now Raags an now i know where to start

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Raaga!those buns look lovely.Now,this recipe is on the top of my to try list as I don't have coriander leaves at this time.Raaga! Also wanted to tell you,yesterday,I tried vegetable poha for our morning breafast and it was simple,fast and great in taste.I omitted soy granules.Thanks for all the wonderful recipes you have been sharing with us.

February 07, 2008

Revathi said...

this is innvative. reminds me of coconut sugary buns with cream @ Adyar Bakery and the night-time street vendor in virudhunagar, my native :)

Anonymous said...

Raaga, after seeing Nupur and Shilpa's buns i have been wating to try these. I have all the ingredients but have nto yet tried it. I have printed your recip... i am so tempted to go hoem right away and try these babies :-)
They look delicious!

Manasi said...

Lovely! I wish I was as confident about baking any type of bread! Will try this.. hopefully they turn out edible when I attempt 'em!

Pooja said...

wow . thats real innovative idea . looks yummy too :) .
thanks for sharing the recipe Raaga.

evolvingtastes said...

Those surely look superb! I admire how you find the time to do your own bread baking with work and commute.

Mansi said...

those are nice-looking buns Raaga! I can totally understand your mom stuffing them away for later:)

Anonymous said...

Oh I love these kind of buns. Looks delicious Raaga.

Unknown said...

Oh, these buns look amazing, raaga.. And you r such an amazing cook !! Simply superb ! !

Red Chillies said...

The buns look beautiful. They are not avialable here in the US and so that is one of the things we miss. But yours is such a super recipe, I will try it.

Kalai said...

These look so yummy. It's really nice to have a spicy treat that's not deep fried! Will bookmark this one! :)

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

I know for a fact that these taste good. A friend of mine makes them regularly. In fact, she was the one who gave me first practical lesson in baking!

Raaga said...

Thank you all... I do hope you all try making the buns... and I'll wait to hear from all of you!

Aarti said...

Interesting... use boiling water n milk.. i have made these buns ages ago.. and since then yet to experiment again.. need a good oven 1st... :)

looks yumm yummm...

EC said...

The buns look lovely...great job

FH said...

Oh, khara buns!! Looks delicious Raaga. I will try, I stuffed sweet coconut and jaggery before, got to try this!:)
Glad my blogs are open for you now. See you on Monday, enjoy the weekend.

Grihini said...

they look gorgeous! will bookmark the post

Viji said...

Spicy ones will vanish soon than the sweet ones Raaga. Well baked and it is yummy. Viji

Deeba PAB said...

Welcome back Raaga & lovely looking buns! Classes anytime...& both ways! My yeast problem still continues...;0(! Havn't got yr mail in my inbox but only on the blog page! great to hear from you!

Dhivya said...

wow different idea...will surely try..thanks for sharing

Laavanya said...

Having tried your masala buns and loving them, these coriander buns are definitely on my list.

Vaishali said...

Raaga, Nice to find your blog- you have delicious recipes here. I love the coriander buns and would love to try making them. Thanks for the recipe!

Archana Doshi said...

lovely buns and a simple detailed recipe. A sure try recipe. Will try this with purely whole wheat flour, as my children ar bound to gobble them up :)
Thanks for sharing, you have some interesting recipes in your site, especially in the one meal dish section. Keep them coming :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Excellent recipe,Raaga... Dying to try it out... but have a few doubts...

Is cup measure in the recipe a standard cup?..ie around 240 ml?

At what temperature do we bake it.

Cheers,
Dev

KayKat said...

*wow*! These look so good. They totally remind me of these stuffed buns we use to get at Hot Breads in Madras.

I'm making these this week, will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the awesome post!

Arundathi said...

:( i just so hate working with yeast. it almost never ever works. do you have suggestions on what brand/type of yeast works well? i'd love to do some baking - its been so long...

Latha said...

Hey Raaga,
TRied making these buns yesterday! They were awesome. Except i did not mix the cilantro stuff in the batter (thinking that my kids would prefer them without it) and i also made a potato curry stuffing (like potato palya) - it just so reminded me of the potato buns in the bakeries back home!
Do u have any ideas how i could sweeten the bun batter some more - have u tried the raisin buns in the bakeries or the sweet buns? kinda like that...
Will post these soon on my blog! Thanks to u!
Latha

Anonymous said...

Hi, first time commenting here though I do love your recipes. However, could you please tell me what brand of yeast to use. I am a little apprehensive as I have had a few baking disasters with using the local yeast Solar.

Congrats on a great site!

Shalini

Raaga said...

Thanks all of you.

The yeast that I use is fresh yeast from the Nilgiris Supermarket in Chennai. I have also bought Star Yeast from INA Market in Delhi... but am yet to use it.


Thanks again... reading your comments makes me feel extremely happy.

And I'll come back with a recipe for sweet buns!!

Kribha said...

This looks amazing. Reminds me of the ones I've had in India. Thanks for sharing it. It's bookmarked to try.

vani said...

i came across ur site recently. i tried this reepi and it came out really well. i made potato and onion stufing

thanks for the recepi.

AA_Mom said...

Hi Raaga,
Have been a lurker on your site for a few weeks now and was mighty impressed with these buns.

Tried them y'day and they turned out great. Thanks for sharing these wonderful recipes with us. I do really like your writing style as well.

Nikita said...

i made these buns recently and they turned out great. this is the first time that something i made using yeast has come out so nice. Thanks for the recipe.