Google
 

December 17, 2007

Chocolate Orange Marble Cake



It was a busy Sunday. I hadn't baked a cake in ages and although I have a box of raisins and figs soaking up some rum, I haven't gotten around to baking my fruit cake. But it was the birthday of my dear friend, P, and I couldn't think of anything better than a home made cake. I found the idea for this lovely cake in a cook called "Everyday Chocolate" by Parragon Publishing. I modified my existing cake recipe to suit this cake. I haven't become very comfortable with the grams and ounces measurements yet and prefer using the standard cup measure.





For the Orange Portion:

1 cup Flour
2 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4cup Oil
1egg
1/4 cup Milk

1/4 cup Orange Juice
1/2 tsp Orange Essence
1 tsp Grated Orange Rind



For the Chocolate Portion:

3/4 cup Flour
1/6 cup Cocoa

2 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 cup Oil
1 egg
1/2 cup Milk
1/2 tsp Vanilla



Butter and flour for dusting




For the decoration:


300g Icing Sugar
12 tsp Orange Juice, filtered
2 drops Orange Food Colouring
Chocolate Sprinkles

Sift all the dry ingredients for the each cake separately into a food processor jar with the dough blade. Pour in all the liquid ingredients and run the processor for 2 minutes. Prepare two 8 inch round cake tins by first smearing a little
butter all over the tin and then dusting it with flour.

Place spoonfuls of each batter alternately in the pans. Swirl the batter using a knife or skewer to create a marble effect.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350 F. The cakes are done when a knife or skewer inserted into them comes out clean. Remove the cakes to a cake rack and cool completely.






Prepare the icing by whisking the icing sugar along with the orange juice and the food colouring to a running consistency. Pour over the cooled cakes and sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles.

I am not a big fan of orange flavoured chocolates, but these two flavours gelled pretty well in this cake and I was rather surprised. We enjoyed small pieces of the cake and P took the rest of it to a family get together where, according to her, it was relished and gone in no time. My cousin P and her husband S completed 6 years of married life yesterday as well. This is a small cake for them too.

I am sending this to the JFI - Chocolate hosted by Deepz.

I hope that during this time of the year when it is not at all bad to spend time in the kitchen (the temperature being 4 degrees C and our houses having no central heating), I will be baking more and trying out newer stuff. I need your continued support.

I am still unable to view many blogs on blogger. I have two blogs. I am able to view one but not this one. I am able to read several blogs through Google Reader, but am unable to comment. So, do bear with me.

17 comments:

Padmaja said...

Raaga your friend P is indeed so lucky to have as a friend dear. What a sweet gesture!!Lovely cake!!

sunita said...

Lovely cake from a lovely friend :-)

Sig said...

You really are sooo sweet Raaga... Cake looks lovely... Happy Birthday to P..

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Raaga

Yours cake looks so yummy !!

evolvingtastes said...

That looks lovely, Raaga!

Sagari said...

yummy cake raagaaaa looks deleciousss

remya said...

wow!!! superb...wat a nice cake for ur friend....looks yumm

Finla said...

Delicious cake. Lucky your friend to gave a friend like you.

Suganya said...

The frosting covers the marbled effect. Looks lovely either ways.

Mansi said...

That's a nice flavor combo raaga! I'm gonna be trying to make a marble cake soon:) thanks for the inspiration!

Namratha said...

Lovely combo, the swirls look nice.

Manasi said...

Ur friend is sure lucky!!!
Very nice combo too!!!!

Raaga said...

Wow... today I am able to see my own blog. Let me try my luck with some of yours :-) Thanks all for the lovely comments.

Poornima said...

Wow! The cake sure looks yummy! P is really lucky..to have the cake and eat it too! :)

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Nice cake, Raaga. Chocolate and orange always works, for me at least:)

Coffee said...

Raaga, my birthday just went ;) :P . I am expecting a cake from you. :P LOl Just kidding..... delicious cake!

Pelicano said...

Hey, intriguing cake- love the orange-chocolate combo as I love candied orange-peel dipped in dark chocolate. Your marbling is lovely BTW.