Google
 

October 3, 2007

Pumpkin Soup



We're going the healthy way... and how! Smaller meals, salads, and soups. At the time of the year when people start eating because the weather's getting cooler, I'm turning and moving in the other direction. But it doesn't matter, does it? As long as we're all having fun along the way.



I found this recipe in the same book (Favourite Vegetarian Dishes) that I found Potato Wedges, Garlic and Sage Bread, and Middle Eastern Salad in. This book has pictures that make me drool and also has step by step pictures and makes the most ordinary dish look like a million bucks.



After cakes, soups are the first things that I started making on my own after referring to cookbooks. Tarla Dalal's soups in her first few books, Joys, Pleasures and Delights of Vegetarian Cooking, were made at home almost everyday during the long vacation after I completed my class 10 exams.



I first made this soup to accompany my Garlic and Sage Bread. All of you know that this was ages ago. But when an entire month is dedicated to an event, non event stuff does take a back seat. (During such a time, I am only posting event related stuff, I am not necessarily making and eating the same.)





I have modified this recipe each time I have made it and I am now writing this from memory.


1/2 kg Pumpkin or Butternut Squash, peeled, deseeded, and chopped into cubes

1 Onion, chopped

1 tbsp Garlic Paste/ chopped Garlic

1 tsp Ginger Paste

1 Bay Leaf

1 tsp Lime Juice

1 cup Milk

2 tbsp Oil/Butter

Salt and Pepper to taste


Heat the oil in a pressure pan. Saute the onion and garlic until soft but not brown. Add the bay leaf and the ginger and saute for a minute. Add the pumpkin pieces and saute for a couple of minutes. Add about 3 cups of water and cook for 1 whistle (5 minutes).


When done, remove the bay leaf and blend in a liquidizer or pass through a sieve. Add the lime juice and bring to a boil. Add the milk and simmer for 2 minutes. (Do not boil the soup after adding the milk as it will curdle.)


Serve with cream if you wish. I didn't wish, so I didn't!!

14 comments:

FH said...

NIIIICE!!!:))
Cream is not necessary in everything.

Unknown said...

Yum! Pumpkin is one of my favorite kinds of soups!

Grihini said...

Hmm.... got to try this. Looks good.

Anonymous said...

Y'day I too have made pumkin soup, just with lots of balck pepper. Lime juice is a nice addition..like that.

Suganya said...

I like eating healthy during winter. That way I can escape the rabbit food (raw greens :D) and make more yummy but healthy soup. Just like yrs ;)

Rajitha said...

i think you are doing the right way..pigging out and stuffing ourselves in jackets in really so bad..i am feeling terrible raaga..i ate a big plate of bajjis just now :(...dinner is soup..hopefully!!

Kribha said...

Good soup for the fall season. I've not tasted pumpkin soup before. This recipe sounds nice to try.

Sreelu said...

Raaga,
I love pumpkin soup espeically here in the fall where you get really good pumpkins.I however never added onions before good one

Raks said...

I have a piece of pumpkin in my fridge,havw to try this yummy soup..!!

Anonymous said...

it will soon be raining in chennai - soup is a healthier alternative to bajjis surely :D (but knowing me I'll still have bajjis ;) )

Bindiya said...

Hi Raaga,its just something about pumpkins that is not very appealing to me,so I never cook with them,but since I love soups I think I will have to try this out ,the addition of lemon juice seems appealing.

Raaga said...

@Ashakka: I agree... I just don't like the addition in soups and everything just to make it rich.

@Erin: Until I got this book, the only western thing I made with pumpkin was pie :-)

@Grihini: Do try it out.

@Madhu: what a coincidence :-)

Raaga said...

@Suganya: If only I could get you know who to eat soups for dinner :-)

@Rajitha: I so know what you mean :-) I too am doing this to balance out the other pigging out that we do.

@Kribha: Easy breezy stuff this is

@Sreelu: Ideal for the Halloween season :-)

Raaga said...

@Raks: let me know :-)

@Lakshmi: Girl, did you read my mind or did I read yours??? See my latest post.

@Bindiya: Try it... you'll forget hard feelings for the vegetable :-)