Google
 

July 10, 2007

Stuffed Capsicum




Despite the fact that its summer here, advancements in agricultural science ensure that we now get nice vegetables all year round in Delhi. In addition to the lauki, kaddu, tinda varieties, we also get carrots (sometimes), beans, capsicum and cauliflower.


S and I are both fond of capsicum and I find it to be a very versatile vegetable. Just one can change the identity of a dish. Add it to sambar and the aroma you get is so totally different. Add it to the normal potato curry and the resultant aloo shimla mirch is simply divine.

This was something I tried with Aloo Mash. It didn't turn out exactly the way I'd envisioned it would (yes, I actually envision my food - and even taste it in my mind - before I actually make it).



Ingredients:


4 Green Capsicum


For the stuffing

1 Cup Aloo Mash (2-3 potatoes, boiled and mashed)
2 Potatoes, boiled and mashed
1 tsp Ginger paste
1 tsp Green Chilli paste
1/4 cup Coriander

1/2 tsp Cumin-Coriander Powder

1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
Salt to taste


For the tempering:


1 tbsp Oil
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida


Remove the stalks of the capsicum and keep aside.



Mix all the ingredients for the stuffing and fill the capsicum cups.



Heat oil in a kadhai. Add the cumin seeds and asafoetida. When the cumin seeds crackle, place the capsicum cups in the kadhai.




Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes. Uncover and carefully turn each capsicum so that the potato stuffing faces the kadhai..


Allow the tops to brown and crispen. Carefully take each capsicum out and serve.


This goes well with rotis, but I am sure it would go well with dal-rice or make for a nice snack as well.

9 comments:

Sia said...

it surely making me hungry and its almost lunch time for me:) i am rushing out to have my lunch:)

Raaga said...

Bon appetit Sia :-)

Coffee said...

ooooo...... its a great side dish to any meal!! :) you can also cut them in slices and cook over a tava so it will be more like stuffed capsicum rings. :D

Arundathi said...

my mom makes a variation of this where she stuffs the capsicum with capsicum paruppu usli and then sprinkles rava on top and bakes it. The rava gives the crunchy layer and the capsicum is fabulous!

Raaga said...

@Coffee: Great idea. My mom makes something like that with snake gourd... it is called paddul in konkani and so the dish is called pudlet... cutlet with paddul :-) I will try this with capsicum though :-)

@Arundathi: I will try the paruppu usli version too... for that I will first attempt making paruppu usli :)

archana said...

Thanx for stopping by :) Even I like capsicums and stuffed taste very nice. Nice recipe Raaga :)

FH said...

Hi Raaga,great looking dish.I make sometimes too with meat inside.Baking is a great idea,makes it cook all around.
Great recipe Raaga.See you later at FH girl:))

Sharmi said...

the stuffed capsicum look nice. I too make them but very rarely. got to have a real mood for it.

Raaga said...

@Archana: I think capsicum rules in my food blog. I made yet another capsicum dish today. I'll post tomorrow.

@Asha: I'm an occasional non-veg... 99.9% vegetarian... and I never cook meat. Maybe when I visit you, you can make the meat filled version and I shall eat :-)

@Sharmi: Right you are... mood venum idhukkellam :-)