Google
 

July 9, 2007

Potato Curry in a hurry



This is a
very simple potato curry that I learnt from Amma. She makes this whenever she's in a hurry and doesn't have boiled potatoes at hand. She also makes this for long train journeys as this keeps for 1-2 days without going bad.

I made this last week to go with tomato rasam. We had a long residents meeting, at the end of which the only result was terrible hunger. To spend a day at work, travel 30 km to get back home, and spend 2 hours in useless discussions, with nothing ready at home, the last meal had at 1.30 p.m., and before you know it, it is 9.30: is not the best of feelings. Comfort food at its best.

Ingredients:

4 large potatoes, washed and scrubbed
1 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Cumin-Coriander Powder
Salt to taste

Cut each potato (with the skin on) in two. Cut each half lengthwise in 2 and then cut finely width wise. You will have quarter circles (kind of triangular) pieces.

Heat the oil, add the mustard, asafoetida and cumin seeds. When the mustard splutters, add the chopped potatoes, salt, chilli, turmeric and cumin-coriander powders. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes. When the potatoes are cooked, remove the lid and allow the potato pieces to crispen to a nice brown.

Enjoy this with hot steamed rice, with chapatis or as an accompaniment to dal or sambar or rasam rice. What I'm saying is: enjoy it anyway you like!

9 comments:

FH said...

Simple and delicious!:)
Hope you are doing well Raaga.

Arundathi said...

Mmmmm - sounds delish - I love potatoes in any shape or form!!! thanks!

archana said...

I like this curry a lot.Nice recipe :)
Any progress on that issue Raaga ?

ushaprashanth said...

Hi raaga!
This curry will go well with curd rice too!

Sharmi said...

I too make this hurry curry very often:))

Raaga said...

Hey Asha, Arundathi, Archana, Usha and Sharmi:

Thanks... I am doing well. No progress on the issue, but life is getting back on track now.

Earlier I thought "how can I put simple recipes on my blog" now I know better. :-)

Lakshmi said...

Hi Raaga, Potatoes in any form is tasty to eat and this one is so simple. Trust you are fine.

Raaga said...

@ToM: Thanks. I am getting better. You learn, with time, to put things past you and move on.

Yup... potatoes are the ever favourite. For months we didn't eat potato... and suddenly, we've eaten it 4 times in 2 weeks.

TBC said...

I just love anything made with potatoes. I too usually make this with rasam. It's true comfort food !