Google
 

July 21, 2007

Oatmeal Coffee Cake



Ever since I discovered Ann Pillsbury's Baking Book some 20 years ago, coffee cakes have fascinated me. For a long time, I thought coffee cakes were cakes flavoured with coffee. Over the years, we have more and more information at our disposal. According to Wikipedia:


The term coffee cake can refer to either of the following:


A cake, often sponge cake, which is made with coffee or has a coffee flavour.
A cake served with coffee
or eaten at breakfast. Under this definition, a coffee cake does not necessarily contain coffee. Coffee cakes are typically flavored with cinnamon, nuts, and fruits.




Now, I know better.


All this while I was thinking of making something spicy like a cutlet or tikka with oats. While browsing for breakfast recipes that used oats in some form (other than porridge) I came across this site. It is called Recipe Goldmine and rightly so. I found an interesting coffee cake recipe and modified it to come up with my entry for the Weekend Breakfast Blogging # 13 hosted by Madhuli of My Foodcourt.




The recipe called for brown sugar and I didn't have any in the house and didn't replace it with anything. So, the cake is not too sweet. Works for me as I can then pour maple syrup over it and enjoy my little treat.


Ingredients:

1/2 cup Oatmeal
5/8 cup Hot water
5/8 cup Flour
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 cup Butter, melted
1 egg
1 tsp Vanilla
Toasted Walnuts for garnish


Cover the oatmeal with hot water and allow it to set for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix together dry ingredients. Add butter, egg, vanilla extract and mix well. Add oatmeal and mix. Pour into a greased and floured pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. The batter is a little more gooey than normal cake batter. The oats must be working its magic.

After about 15 minutes of baking, arrange the toasted walnuts on the cake and continue baking.


Enjoy a slice of this cake along with breakfast on a leisurely weekend morning and discover sheer bliss.

9 comments:

Srivalli said...

Raaga...the cake looks so nice and moist....btw...tell me how you manage to post so many in a day...have always wanted to ask....its wonderful you...I find it difficult to comment in all...:)...

Srivalli
www.cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com

Raaga said...

Thanks Srivalli. I cook during the week and take pictures after I cook. I post on a Saturday because I have plenty of time then.

TBC said...

Looks very good!
I am going to try it one of these days.

Viji said...

A lovely cake Raaga. Very nice. Viji

Raaga said...

@TBC: It was ready before I knew it. No mess no fuss. My kind of cake. Thanks

@Viji: Thank you!

Unknown said...

m back!! Your cake looks divine, i cant wait to pop a slice into my mouth...madras was fun, have brought back a dozen mangoes from our home's mango tree :)

Shella said...

Looks gorgeous & will help me do away with a dubba of oats lying at home unused.

Raaga said...

@nandita: I made it only once, but my neighbour made it twice already!!

@Shella: Yes, this is an easy way to use up oats :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness this cake is super yummy! I wasn't sure what to expect since this recipe is so different from the typical coffee cakes I've made. It is very dense and filling!

I added a whole tsp of cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg and salt. I think next time I might make some type of brown sugar or crumb topping! :) Thanks so much for sharing.