Google
 

July 14, 2007

Muttai Dosai (Egg Dosa)


My brother ate a lot of street food in Madras. I have suffered from a host of allergies and illnesses that put loads of restrictions on my eating. As an adult, I know how to balance my diet and not suffer endlessly because I ate something I shouldn't have. When I was younger, I don't think my parents trusted me enough to judiciously choose.


When H started college, our exposure, as a family, to Madras beyond the IIT campus increased a great deal. He'd come back and tell us about what he ate at the college canteen or at the tea stall opposite Anna University. One day he told me that he ate a Muttai Dosai. I thought that was the Tamil name for an omelette and I thought, "Big deal!"


Years later, when I went to University, I visited a friend's uncle and aunt. When you're a hosteler, everyone is always thinking of feeding you. As soon as I landed up at their place, the lady asked me what I'd like to eat. The poor eater that I am, I always say no to food offered to me at odd times. But she insisted and asked me if I eat eggs. I said yes. She said, "Appo unakku muttai dosai tharen" (Then I'll give you an egg dosa.). I thought I knew what I was getting. After 5 minutes, I got something that looked like a dosa . Wait, it was a dosa. And while the dosa was being made, an egg had been broken over it. So, this was the muttai dosai that H talked so highly of. One bite and I was hooked.

I taught Amma how to make this and she did. But she added her own touch. Read on and you'll find out what she did to make her signature muttai dosai.


Ingredients:



2 eggs, beaten lightly
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 tsp Coriander leaves, finely chopped
1/2 tsp Chilli Paste
1/2 tsp Ginger Paste
Salt to Taste

Oil for frying


Mix the onions, coriander, chilli paste, ginger paste and salt with the beaten eggs and keep aside.


Heat a tawa and proceed to make a dosa as illustrated here. When the dosa begins to brown at the bottom, spoon some of the egg mixture on to it and spread it over the dosa. Pour a little oil around the dosa. When the egg begins to cook, turn the dosa around.


When the egg is cooked, flip the dosa and enjoy it with sauce or chutney or anything you like.

13 comments:

FH said...

Sounds good and looks good too Raaga!:)
I was wondering about Haryana girl posting a Tamil sounding Muttai Dosai!:D
Now I know! Ginger paste is interesting,got to try,thanks.

Pretty Woman said...

hey a nice variation.. :)

Nupur said...

This does look like a very interesting brunch dish! Got to try it!

Raaga said...

@Asha: I'm a half konkani half tamil chennai girl who is married to a telugu and now lives in Gurgaon :-)

@Janani: Do try it sometime.

@Nupur: It is a nice variation from the normal dosa or omelette :-)

Cynthia said...

Raaga, I really like the idea of this dosa. Gotta to try it.

Jyothi said...

Hi Raaga! I heard about this dosa, but never tried. Now your dosa pics are tempting to prepare. Thanks for sharing. Surely I will try this. Thanks again.

Suganya said...

My husband looves this.. I am not able to get used to dosa and eggs combo.

Anonymous said...

Oohhhhh... this is such a novel dosa... never heard of it before. Good one, Raaga. ( Btw I love your name... so feminine and so sweeet)

Cheers,
Mythili

Padma said...

We do make egg dosa, but mine is a very simple one with salt and pepper. have to try add more of your ingredients and make it interesting..

Raaga said...

@Cynthia: If you have one of those ready dosa mixes handy, this can be ready faster than you think.

@Jyothi: There's always a first time :-)

@Suganya: It takes a while to get used to the idea... the taste however, is instantly likeable.

@Mythili: Thanks on all counts.

@Padma: The one I ate at first was also plain salt and pepper with the egg just broken onto the dosa. But this is an interesting variation.

Anonymous said...

You can make appams and while that it being done break an egg in the centre and cook it like a sunny side up but the yellow must set. It looks like a sunflower.

While making idlis, pour in half the batter, a spoonful of scrambled eggs made from the same mixture as the Muttai one (you can add a few curry leaves to the egg while scrambling), top up with rest of batter and then let it steam as usual. You have stuffed idlis. You can make it with any kind of filling, which is light and does not overwhelm the fresh idli.

amna said...

oh yeah, this IS more elaborate :) shud try it sometime :)

Several tips said...

Your blog is nice.