Google
 

July 7, 2007

Mixed Vegetable Semia Upma


I must be the biggest upma fan there ever was. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I can make upma out of anything and eat it. I am itching to make upma out of corn next. I hope to find corn dalia in the market shelves some day and I shall try to make that.

This, however, is a pretty standard upma. But it looks and tastes so good that I can make this every week and not tire of it.

Ingredients:

1 cup Roasted Vermicelli (Semia)
1 Onion, chopped
1 cup Mixed vegetables, chopped and cooked (I used carrots and beans)
1 tbsp Oil
1/2 tsp Urad Dal
1/2 tsp Chana Dal
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
7-8 Curry Leaves
½ tsp Chilli Powder
¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Green Chilli paste
1 tsp Ginger Paste
Salt to taste
Coriander Leaves for garnish



Heat the oil in a kadhai. Add the urad and chana dals. When the urad dal begins to brown a little, add the mustard and asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves, onions, ginger and chilli pastes and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the chilli and turmeric powders and fry for a minute more. Add the mixed vegetables and the vermicelli and fry the entire mixture for 1-2 minutes. Add 1 cup of boiling hot water and salt to this. Mix well, cover and cook for 5-7 minutes on a low flame.

Mix well, garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy it as a snack or a light meal.

2 comments:

Arundathi said...

i absolutely love love love semiya upma!!! i can eat it anytime too. i usually add tomatoes chopped fine and peas. Not sure why, but I love peas in my upma.
Thanks for posting.

Raaga said...

I think I love leas... in any form... ran out of them when I made mixed veg upma and have yet to replenish stock :-)