Google
 

July 17, 2007

Kothu Roti


I blame this all on Nupur. She made this post a few days ago about "Eating out while eating in". And that is why I am craving restaurant food.

S broke his leg on Sunday and that rules out eating out for a while. (He actually tore a ligament and I am told that it is worse than having a bone fractured.) We're going to be eating out a lot for the next few days, at home that is! We started with French Bread Pizza and this is my next venture.






I have, very often, come home from a restaurant itching to recreate the dish I've just devoured. One of those has been the Kothu Parotta that I've had at Komala's in Madras. My last trip there was when we'd gone to book accommodation for the groom's party before my wedding. I ordered Kothu Parotta again and was so disappointed. The chef just dumped chilli powder over the parottas and I had to eat the dish with about 10 glasses of water. (Finally, Appa said to order a plate of idlis to undo the damage!)


Someday I'll be able to make parotta all by myself. These are best savoured at roadside shacks and Puru's opposite the Pondicherry University campus will go down in my books as one of the best Parotta Kurma joints. My dear readers may note that a parotta is very different from a paratha and the two are not the same bread. The parotta has saved me on many an occasion from the "the-mess-food-is-lousy-hence-I-will-go-to-bed-hungry" syndrome.


I had some rotis in the fridge. They were made on Saturday morning and we were fully expecting to eat them for lunch. But S went to work and when he came back it was already 4 p.m. I was busy blogging all day and didn't get up to make anything to go with the rotis. When S got home, he quickly made 2 egg rolls and we ate them before heading out. Our rotis usually have no fat in them and that makes eating them any day after they're made, rather difficult.


But then again, I am not given to wasting food or randomly giving it away. So, when I was working from home on Monday, to help S at home, I decided to use rotis instead of parottas and make Kothu Roti instead of Kothu Parotta! I was making this purely from my memory of the taste.


6 Rotis, torn into bits

1 large Onion, sliced

2-3 medium Tomatoes, chopped

1 tbsp Oil

1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds

1/4 tsp Asafoetida

7-8 Curry Leaves

1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder

1 tsp Chilli Powder

1 tsp Cumin Powder

1/2 tsp Coriander Powder

1 tsp Green Chilli paste

1/2 tsp Ginger paste

1 tsp Pav Bhaji Masala (I used MDH)

Salt to Taste


Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds and asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves, ginger and chilli pastes, and onions. Fry the onions for a couple of minutes. Add the tomatoes and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the chilli, turmeric, cumin and coriander powders and fry for a minute. Add the pav bhaji masala and fry for another minute or two. Add the salt and the roti bits. Mix well. Cover and cook for a couple of minutes and then cook without the lid for a couple of minutes more.


Enjoy this piping hot. Wash my roti version of Kothu Parotta down with a glass of buttermilk. It'll be a treat, I promise.

14 comments:

Sia said...

that means we get to see more "Eating out while eating in" from u? sorry to know that S broke his leg. sending get well soon wishes...

Raaga said...

Yeah. Sometimes food is the only thing that can cheer him up. So, when he is down, I make different things so he can take his focus away from the pain.

Thanks for the wishes, I'll definitely pass them on.

FH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
FH said...

So sorry about ligament tear.It's true,it's more painful than a fracture and takes a looong time to heal too.I had one in my elbow when I was 19 and even now sometimes in winter,I can feel the ghost pain!.Hope he feels better soon.
I saw this in a restaurant,but didn't know what it was! Looks delicious.Got to make parathas first.I will try:)

Raaga said...

Thanks Asha. I will pass on your wishes to Sachin.

My boss also told me about how even ten years after the injury, he still feels the pain.

Do try this dish. Even if it means making rotis first :-)

Suganya said...

Hi Raaga....First time to ur blog... U have a lovely set of recipes....I loved ur kothu roti...

Nupur said...

First things first: so sorry to hear of the broken ligament :( My sister needed a ligament reconstruction in her knee a few years ago, and I'm hoping S does not need surgery and recovers quickly. Sending good vibes his way...
The kothu roti looks so tempting! Glad you two are eating well in spite of the injury and everything. I have to make extra rotis to try this out.
Looking forward to more yummy eating-out recipes from you, Raaga :)

Cynthia said...

I like this recipe and look at the colour of that dish.

archana said...

Sorry to hear of S's ligament tear. Wish him speedy recovery from my side :)
This is a nice recipe to use left over rotis :)

Priyanka said...

Raaga, hoping S gets well soon.So the Kothu roti is a variation of the kuskara it seems. will try it out.
btw, i have tagged you for the 7 random facts meme
check out
www.lajawaab.blogspot.com

Raaga said...

@Nupur: We're hoping there's no need for surgery. :-) The wishes will be passed on.

@Cynthia: This really tastes as good as it looks.

@Archana: The leftovers will be gone in no time. I will pass your wishes on.

@Priyanka: I was tagged in my non food blog, but I can do it again. What is kuskara?

Sreelu said...

Raaga,

wow really nice version to make with left over roti's.

Well my husband had a legiment tore while skiing, Its not usually a problem until unless you want to be very atheltic. please do consider different doctors before going for a surgery. Here in US they do trasplantation to replace the torn legiment.The healing process requires therapy for about a year. Hope I am not scaring you its just you need to be prepared for all this
Let me know if you have any question will surely help

Raaga said...

Thanks Sreelu. My brother in law is a very famous orthopaedician. Even though we live in a different city, we have been consulting him as well as the doctor at Max. I doubt there will be need for surgery. To cast or not to cast will be the question. :-) Thanks though.

And do try this whenever you have leftover rotis.

marriedtoadesi.com said...

Hello my dear Raaga!

Thanks for coming by my site. I had already seen your post and put a link to it in the kothu parotta post! Thanks for sharing more cool details about this great recipe.

Kanchana