Google
 

July 21, 2007

Kaddu ki Subzi (Pumpkin Curry)






Yellow pumpkin. I have eaten it a lot. But have used it only for 2 things until now. As a vegetable in sambar. In pumpkin pie. In markets here, I couldn't find ash gourd and whatever I asked the guy for, he'd show me yellow pumpkin.


"Bhaiya, yeh to Kaddu hai. Mujhe Petha chahiye." (This is pumpkin, I want AshGourd)


"Arrey Madam, yehi to hai Petha." (This is Ash Gourd)


"Agar yeh Petha hai, to mujhe Kaddu chahiye" (If this is Ash Gourd, I want a Pumpkin)


"Kya Madam, Kaddu Petha, sab ek hi cheez hai." (Both are the same)


"Bhaiya, Agra mein Petha kaun si subzi se banta hai?" (What is the famous Agra sweet Agra Petha made of?)


"Pethe se" (From Petha!)




I am not exactly the epitome of patience. I can get exasperated quite easily. And this kind of conversation that leads nowhere can be more than trying. S asked me to buy it and make sambar and so I did. But the next day, I was adding Richa's blog to my Google Reader and I came across her Kaddu ki Subzi. I had to try it. And I did.

250g Yellow Pumpkin, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
1 Tomato, chopped
1 tsp Green Chilli Paste
1/2 tsp Ginger Paste
1 1/2 tsp Tamarind Paste
1/2 tsp Sugar
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Chilli Powder
2 tbsp Coriander Powder

For the Tempering:
1 1/2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds,
1 tsp Fennel Seeds
7-8 Curry leaves

Heat the oil in the pressure pan. Add the mustard, cumin and fennel seeds. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves, green chilli paste, ginger and onion. Saute till onion turns translucent. Add the chopped and fry for a minute. Add the chopped pumpkin and saute for a minute. Add salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder. Add tamarind paste, sugar and 1/2 cup water and pressure cook 2 whistles.



Enjoy this side dish with rotis. It is simply amazing to note that a simple vegetable can taste so good. Thanks Richa.

2 comments:

Richa said...

hey aru, i'm happy to know you tried it! It sure is so tasty for it's simplicity, glad to know u liked it!

Raji said...

Good recipe ! I tried it too !