Google
 

July 21, 2007

Gatte Ki Kadhi



The very first time I ate Gatte ki kadhi was at Mansukh's in Madras. I was enjoying a Gujarati Thali while a colleague was enjoying a Rajasthani Thali. She asked me to try the kadhi and I fell in love with it instantly.



Years later, I sampled more of this spicy dish at Dhola-ri-Dhani, a Rajasthani village theme resort in Hyderabad. Soon, I bought myself a copy of Tarla Dalal's Rajasthani Cookbook. I've tried quite a few recipes from the book. I use a lot less chilli powder than the recipes call for. So you may adjust the spice level according to your taste.


Ingredients:

For the gattas:

3/4 cup

Bengal gram flour 1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/8 tsp ajwain
1 tbsp curds
2 tbsp oil
Salt to taste


For the Kadhi:


2 cups C
urds, beaten
1 tablespoon
Bengal gram flour
4 to 6 C
urry leaves
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
1 bay leaf
1 clove
1 stick
cinnamon
1 cardamom
1/4 tsp
turmeric powder
1 tsp
chilli powder
2 tsp coriander powder
2 tbsp
oil
Salt to taste


For garnish:
2 tablespoons chopped
coriander






For the Gattas:


Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and knead into a firm dough using as little water as necessary. Divide the mixture into eight 3 inch long cylinders.


Heat plenty of water in a vessel and cook the gattas for 8-10 minutes in boiling water. Drain and cut the gattas into half inch pieces.


For the Kadhi:



Mix the curds, gram flour, curry leaves and 1/2 cup of water and mix well.


Heat oil in a kadhai and add the mustard, fennel and cumin seeds, asafoetida, bay leaf, clove, cinnamon and cardamom. When the mustad and cumin seeds crackle, add the turmeric, chilli and coriander powders and fry for a minute. Add the curd mixture, 1 cup of water and salt and bring to a boil while stirring continuously.



Add the prepared gattas and garnish with coriander. Enjoy this with steaming hot rice. I can guarantee you'll fall in love with it.


This is my entry to Weekend Herb Blogging, started by Kalyn and hosted by The Chocolate Lady of In Mol Araan.

This fits in perfectly with my
Eating out while eating in series. The earlier ones in this series being Kothu Roti, French Bread Pizza, Macaroni, Egg Bhurji and Potato Wedges.

10 comments:

FH said...

Love that book too and I have that!:)
Gatte ki kadhi looks great.I made similar with thick sauce at FH.Love the taste of Gattes,like vegetarian meat!;D
Enjoy the weekend Ragga.Hugs:)

J said...

Oh, you should have some dal bati and choorma to go with the kadhi! :)

archana said...

Thanks for the info on Naivedyam. I have heard it is good, would like to go there some day :)
I like Rajasthani food and any thing with gattas . The Kadhi is looking yummy with curds, fennel, masalas in it. I feel like buying this book I am crazy for Tarla Dalal's books

Sharmi said...

I wanted to go to dola ri dhani but didnt get a chance. thanks for the traditional recipe. will bookmark it.

Raaga said...

@Asha: Thanks :-) I, too, absolutely love the taste of gattas!

@Jyothsna: I did have Dal Baati Churma... not with this, but as a separate meal in itself... :-) but it was store bought... S brought it from Jaipur.

@Archana:We plan to drive to Jaipur to have dinner at Chokhi Dhani someday. Maybe you can join us. It will be fun.

@Sharmi: Your blog is so utterly mouthwatering that my dishes are nothing in comparison. Glad you liked it.

Priyanka said...

Raaga, how do you manage to cook so many dishes girl.... great going... love the gatte ki kadhi...

the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

I definitely *will* fall in love with this. I cannot wait to make the gram flour dumplings--they must be wonderful.

Kalyn Denny said...

I do wish I could taste it. So many interesting flavors here.

Anna Haight said...

This looks sooo good! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Raaga said...

@Priyanka: Think about it, even you make at least 3 things a day, don't you? :-)

@The Chocolate Lady: The entire dish is like a burst of flavours. You must try it.

@Kalyn: Hi. The flavours all blend very well and yet sort of stand out.

@Anna: Its simple enough actually and tastes better than it looks. I'm a lousy photographer.