Google
 

July 10, 2007

A Date with Maggi



I still remember the day when Nestle came to our school to launch Maggi. I was in Class 2. They distributed free packets to all the children. It was on that very day, that my lifelong affair with Maggi took its very first baby step.


There was a time when the flavours of Maggi were numerous. Masala, Egg, Chicken, Capsika, Sweet & Sour, Sambar Spice, Lasagna... I relished most of these (my regular readers would know by now which one I hadn't tasted) when I was growing up.


Hostel changed my life in more ways than
one. It was then that I started stocking Maggi packets, both noodles and soup, in my cupboard. I had a room heater and we've cooked full fledged meals when our classes would start and the mess would still be closed. But Maggi was the fallback option. ALWAYS.


In the late 90s, the Tastemaker for Maggi Masala changed considerably. It had a combination of garlic and coriander. I wasn't complaining, but I sure did miss the taste of good ol' Maggi. A few years later, they reverted to the original flavour. Good sense must have prevailed.


Over the years, I have modified the instructions on the packet and have had several successes. With the introduction of Maggi Vegetable Atta Noodles, the feeling that this may be junk food has also slipped into some dark corner. I haven't taken to the Dal Atta Noodles which is supposed to taste like Sambar. To a non native eater maybe, not to a seasoned tongue such as mine.


Here's a simple variation of Maggi Vegetable Atta Noodles.




Ingredients:


1 Packet Maggi Vegetable Atta Noodles

1 small Onion, chopped finely

1/4 of a Capsicum, chopped finely.

1/4 cup Mixed boiled vegetables (Peas, beans, corn, carrots)

1 tbsp Butter

1 slice Low Fat Cheese

1/4 cup Milk

1/4 tsp Garlic Paste

1 tsp Mayonnaise (optional)


Heat the butter in a saucepan and fry the onions and garlic. Add the chopped capsicum and fry for a minute. Add the contents of the tastemaker after 1-2 minutes and fry for a minute. Break the noodles into pieces and add to the mixture and fry for another minute. Add the boiled vegetables.


To this add 1.5 to 2 teacups (225 to 300 ml) of water and bring to a boil. Cook on high till the noodles are soft. Add the milk and cheese and blend in till the dish has a cheesy appearance. Add the mayo if you wish at this point.


Enjoy this as it is, or with toast. You'll begin to see Maggi in a different light after this experience.

12 comments:

Lata said...

Saw a similar post on Chai Pani and left a comment. It is so glad to see so many of us have that kind of connection with Maggi.

DEEPA said...

Hey raaga..i just now saw one of our friends mentioning abt maggi and now your's ..Everybody is on making maggi ...

FH said...

Lot of Maggie noodles around these days! Attal Maggie sounds like healthy snack to make.I like Masala noodles!
FH post is out,special post for me!:)

Anonymous said...

You have a nice blog here. I am visiting for the first time. All the best....

I hated maggie when I tasted their changed flavor. I switched to top ramen and fell in love with that. Now I can again eat maggie but only with veggies like u have mentioned. Never tried garlic/cheese in it, will try it sometime...thanks

archana said...

There is some magic in Maggi. Even my kids love it in any form. Your recipe will make a nice meal. I will surely make it.
I had posted Maggi Bhel in my blog some time back, you might like it :)

Raaga said...

@Lata: I have not been actively blogging... just been posting recipes on to mine. Must take a trip :-)

@Deepa: Definitely looks like it!

@Asha: Congrats!! I commented there.

@Shilpa: My sister in distress of the Maggi kind :-)

@Archana: Another variation?? I am going to your page now!!

Sreelu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sreelu said...

Raaga,
first time @your blog, mouth watering version of maggi, I lately have been a fan of maggi chineese noodles boy they come very close to street fare noodles.

Added you to my blog roll

Meena Raj said...

Oh.. I am a big fan of Maggi too.. I am going to give this one a try. Tripped into ur blog from Ashakka's. You have some lovely recipes going on here.

Raaga said...

@Sreelu: Welcome aboard. I want to try their Chinese stuff. Am loving their rice mania series :-)

@Meena: Welcome. Do keep visiting. You'll find a lot of everyday stuff here.

Anonymous said...

I was forced to start cooking because I couldn't just stand the hotels in European Countries. It took me about 2 months to master cooking the way I wanted it thanx to blogs like yours...( I had never stepped into a kitchen).

My connection with Maggi started quite late in that aspect. So here's a little cute recipe I developed for Eggetarians-->

Step 1. Fry an egg in a pan and scramble it, garnishing it with a little salt and chilly powder and keep aside.

Step 2. Boil 1 Maggi with 3 tea cups water for 2 mins and add the masala that comes with it.

Step 3. Add the scrambled eggs to the maggi and finish it off with some corriander and mint. A nice touch would be to add the tip of a mint stem with two leaves ( AIADMK Ishtyle).

----------------------------------------
This serves one. Rule of the Thumb is 3 tea cups of water for every single pack of maggi. 1 egg per maggi.

EnSOY.

Raaga said...

Yeah Chill, we make this version too... scrambled egg with Maggi. Thanks :-)