Google
 

July 7, 2007

Butter Garlic Water Chestnuts


I am back! The last week has been crazy. Meetings, police interrogations, sleepless nights. I hope to recover from this all someday. Just the thought that someone broke into my house and went through my stuff before picking what he wanted is driving me insane. To keep from thinking about the incident, I have been cooking. Because I've had people at home. Because I wanted distraction. Because, I love cooking.

I had this dish a couple of times at Mainland China and wanted to try it out. And ever since I came to know about Nupur's A-Z, I've been wanting to make this dish. I know that she insisted on a vegetable and an Indian dish. Here's a Chinese dish made with a fruit. Forgive me, Nupur.

W is for Water Chestnut. And this is my second W entry to Nupur's A-Z of Indian Vegetables. Water chestnuts are not in season but I found a can in the supermarket. I didn't have a recipe, but decided to go by taste alone.


Ingredients:

1 can (400g) Water Chestnuts, drained and chopped in two
2 tbsp Butter
1-2 tsp Chilli Flakes
3 tsp Garlic, finely chopped
Salt to taste

Melt the butter in a pan and add the garlic. Saute for a minute. Add the chilli flakes and fry for another minute. Add the water chestnuts and salt. Cover and cook for a couple of minutes. Remove the lid and saute for another 5 minutes. Enjoy the dish as a starter or an accompaniment to cold beer on a hot afternoon.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa crunchyyy water chestnuts !!! That is such a simple recipe... Good one.

Cheers,
Mythili

Suganya said...

I am hope you are doing fine now. Love yr creativity with water chestnuts!

bha said...

Nice recipe, easy to make and delicious to taste. Am sure gonna try this one, as soon as I can lay my hands on the chestnuts.
Hope your ordeal ends soons

FH said...

Great idea to use water chestnuts! Nupur is taking a break right now,W dishes are for next week I think.July 14th.

bee said...

nice to see you back. chopped up fine, canned water chestnuts add crunch to salads. i love mainland china.

Cynthia said...

I am glad to see you back Raaga. Take it easy hon (I know that it is easier said than done). I'm glad that you are distracting yourself and look what delicious distractions you come up with :)

Arundathi said...

Glad to see you back, Raaga - we missed you! I hope everything works with the police and getting your stuff back. It must feel awful to have your privacy invaded like that.

A delicious recipe - wish I could water chestnuts in Chennai!

J said...

Hope you are doing fine Raaga! nice to see you back!

Raaga said...

I love you all and I missed you too. I am happy to be back. Thank you all for the lovely wishes. I do hope the ordeal ends soon. But there's no use crying over spilt milk, is there? Thanks a ton everyone.

Hugs!

Nupur said...

Looks delicious, and I can just imagine the crunchy yet spicy taste! Thanks for a great entry!

Shella said...

Raaga, I am sorry about what happened. I hope you are fine now, though its quite late to ask.

Water chestnut kya hota hai??

Raaga said...

Thanks for hosting the wonderful series Nupur :-)

Shella: we are fine, thanks :-)