Google
 

May 16, 2007

Peas Pulao


This would go down in my cook book, if I ever write one, as Amma’s signature party dish. This is one dish that never fails to impress and I dish it out at almost every get together. The vegetables do vary depending on inventory. But since I almost always have frozen peas at home, I can prepare this in a jiffy. Variations include cauliflower and peas pulao, mixed vegetable pulao etc.

Ingredients:

1 cup Basmati Rice
1 ½ cups Peas
Salt to Taste
4 tbsp Oil
¼ tsp Asafoetida
1 sliced Onion
1” stick Cinnamon
2 Cloves

Masala (Grind to a Paste):
½ cup scraped Coconut
1 cup Coriander Leaves
2-3 Green chillies
1 tsp Ginger Paste
1 tsp Garlic Paste
1 medium Onion
1” stick Cinnamon
2 Cloves

Grind the ingredients for the masala in a mixer. This will look like coconut chutney.

Wash the rice and drain the water.

In a pressure pan, heat the oil, fry the onion, asafoetida, cinnamon and cloves. When the onions are golden, add the ground masala and fry till the oil starts to separate from it. Add the peas, washed rice and 2 cups of hot water. Cover and pressure cook on a slow flame for 10-15 minutes or for 1-2 whistles. Serve hot.

When I’m in a hurry and don’t have time to slice onions, I just omit that step and add the masala to the oil. It tastes just as good. Don’t go by the picture. (My husband has told me that he will take pictures for my blog from now on as mine are quite sad.)
This is one rice dish you’ll love to serve and love to eat.

3 comments:

Sang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I am going to try this today and surprise my husband. I will update you about the output.

Anonymous said...

This was really awesome... My husband loved it. It was a grt recipe. Loved it.